An MCU or Micturating Cysto Uretherogram is a x-ray examination that is used to demonstrate the renal system. The examination uses x-ray contrast to demonstrate the position, function and movements of the bladder, ureters and kidneys. An MCU can be used in the investigation and ongoing management of a variety of conditions. As this is a dynamic study it can be used to show function as well as anatomical structures. You need to ask your doctor why you need a MCU.
- A member of staff will explain the examination and answer any questions that you may have.
- You will be taken to a change room where you will have to remove some of your clothes, a x-ray gown will be provided for you to wear.
- You will need to lay on a x-ray table, the doctor will insert a small tube into your urethra and into your bladder.
- Through the tube, x-ray contrast is injected filling the bladder. Several images are taken, you may need to move into several simple positions.
- The tube is then removed and you will be able to go to the bathroom.
- This test takes about 30 minutes.