A Graft/Stent surveillance Ultrasound is an ultrasound assessment of either stents or grafts that you have had placed in or around your arteries. It is important to routinely monitor the stents and grafts in your arteries as they can re-narrow. You may have presented to your Doctor with symptoms that may suggest to them that you need an ultrasound of the stents or grafts in your arteries.
- You will be taken to a private room. A staff member will explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to remove clothing to access the area to be examined and to lie down on a couch.
- Gel is placed on the area of interest so that the sound waves can pass through to the relevant vessels. The arteries will be assessed above, at the site and below the location of the stent/graft.
- You will hear the Doppler ultrasound from time to time as it makes a pulsing noise.
- The examination takes thirty minutes but if 2 legs are involved, it may require 60 minutes.