An arterio-venous fistula creates an unusual blood circulation which is extremely useful for haemodialysis. This ultrasound scan helps evaluates problems.
The scan assists in the evaluation of blood flow in and around the fistula or graft. This in turn identifies problem which may affect your current or future dialysis. For more information please see our patient information brochure for this examination.
As there are a range of reasons why you are having this test, it is best discussed with your doctor.
- You will be taken to a private room. A staff member will explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to remove outer clothing from your upper body to expose your arm from shoulder to wrist.
- Gel is placed on the area of interest to allow relevant arteries and veins to be examined.
- You will hear the Doppler ultrasound from time to time as it makes a pulsing noise.
- The examination takes approximately 30 minutes.
Make a booking